This was another short week...but it seems that I had an especially hard time doing the planning. Not because it was a short week, but because we had so much extra stuff to work in, along with being a day short. Wednesday was Veteran's Day (and we had that day off). So on Tuesday the entire day was Veteran's Day themed...that morning we had 7 veterans come to the school and give some presentations. We learned about the MREs that the eat (meals ready to eat), some of the jobs in the army, their equipment, and one of their trucks. The students really seemed to enjoy it..and they were very well behaved (which told me that they must have been really intersted) We also spent the afternoon doing more Veteran's day activities...which included a thank you for our visitors, a Veteran's day book, and a drawing/writing activity. Also that afternoon we had a guidance lesson from Mrs. Culbersom. Needless to say..the afternoon was rushed! But we got through it! This week we also spent doing our science unit rather than math...(thank goodness I am done my AR stuff!) I'm sad to say, but much of our science unit involved them sitting and listening and joining in our discussion. What made me feel worse about that was one afternoon as we were leaving, a little girl asked me when we were going to "do science" I told her we had been, and she asked "no, I mean when are we going to get up and do science?" I had to explain to her that sometimes we learn by listening rather than doing...but it got me thinking. So, for next week, I planned a science lesson from the Project WILD book...it involves charades. I also thought it would be a good idea to look at why we wash our hands (I have a great book that explains germs and washing, etc) and how easily germs spread. (I've also worked in some math lessons...lol) The behavior is starting to get a little better...but by the end of this week it was going back down hill. I think Monday will be a great time for reminding them about their behavior and the consequences. I also need to use our 'little green guy' I use him for a monitor of the entire class's behavior (as opposed to the cards for each student) Whenever the class behavior is not as good as it should be...the green guy turns to orange. So without me saying a thing..they notice the orange guy and tell each other - their behavior quickly changes. I am almost to the end of full time teaching...i have this coming week, the 2 days before Thanksgiving, and the week after...thats all! This semester is coming to an end....
This was another short week...but it seems that I had an especially hard time doing the planning. Not because it was a short week, but because we had so much extra stuff to work in, along with being a day short. Wednesday was Veteran's Day (and we had that day off). So on Tuesday the entire day was Veteran's Day themed...that morning we had 7 veterans come to the school and give some presentations. We learned about the MREs that the eat (meals ready to eat), some of the jobs in the army, their equipment, and one of their trucks. The students really seemed to enjoy it..and they were very well behaved (which told me that they must have been really intersted) We also spent the afternoon doing more Veteran's day activities...which included a thank you for our visitors, a Veteran's day book, and a drawing/writing activity. Also that afternoon we had a guidance lesson from Mrs. Culbersom. Needless to say..the afternoon was rushed! But we got through it!
ReplyDeleteThis week we also spent doing our science unit rather than math...(thank goodness I am done my AR stuff!) I'm sad to say, but much of our science unit involved them sitting and listening and joining in our discussion. What made me feel worse about that was one afternoon as we were leaving, a little girl asked me when we were going to "do science" I told her we had been, and she asked "no, I mean when are we going to get up and do science?" I had to explain to her that sometimes we learn by listening rather than doing...but it got me thinking. So, for next week, I planned a science lesson from the Project WILD book...it involves charades. I also thought it would be a good idea to look at why we wash our hands (I have a great book that explains germs and washing, etc) and how easily germs spread. (I've also worked in some math lessons...lol)
The behavior is starting to get a little better...but by the end of this week it was going back down hill. I think Monday will be a great time for reminding them about their behavior and the consequences. I also need to use our 'little green guy' I use him for a monitor of the entire class's behavior (as opposed to the cards for each student) Whenever the class behavior is not as good as it should be...the green guy turns to orange. So without me saying a thing..they notice the orange guy and tell each other - their behavior quickly changes.
I am almost to the end of full time teaching...i have this coming week, the 2 days before Thanksgiving, and the week after...thats all! This semester is coming to an end....