Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Week 4 Reflection

2 comments:

  1. This was another interesting week. I got my first taste of full-time teaching. On Monday and Tuesday, I was still doing Calendar time and the afternoon story. On Wednesday morning my mentor teacher told me she wasn't feeling well; she ended up going home around 8:00 in the morning. So I had to take over the whole group reading lesson without any preparation. I was worried that the students would notice that I was unprepared and I would loose control of the classroom. But reading turned out alright...everyone came out alive. The day went a little smoother once the sub came in because I was able to divide the students up into smaller groups between the three adults in the room (me, the aide, and the sub). We had something special to do on Wednesday; when we came in that morning, we realized that one of our caterpillars had come out of its cacoon - we had a butterfly!! So we had to take time out of the afternoon to go outside and let the butterfly free - the students really enjoyed it; they can't wait till we have another butterfly. In the afternoon we did our math lesson (making pictures out of shape blocks). In the middle of that, we had our second surprize of the day! An assembly that we thought was on Thursday was actually on Wednesday afternoon. So we had to rush around to make it there on time. It was an assembly on staying motivated in school and in life - it was actually entertaining.
    On Thursday we had another substitute; so I did the teaching again. But this time I was able to prepare for the day, which made it go alot smoother. I also learned alot from the sub-she taught kindergarten for 12 years. It was interesting to see how another teacher works with the students and the techniques they use. On Friday, my mentor teacher came back to school - I was glad to tell her that everthing went well while she was gone. I only have two more weeks till I take over math and about two after that till I take over reading (which puts me at 100%) I am less worried about my full-time teaching because I had this little taste of it this week. :-) I am looking forward to taking over teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes being thrown into something unexpected gives us a shot of confidence. You lived through the situation and realized it wasn't so hard after all.

    Kindergarten students have so much enthusiasm for learning. They adapt well, but sometimes have trouble with un prepared change. I am glad you were there to keep them afloat.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.