Week 3 was a short week because of Labor Day, but it still felt just as long as a regular week. The days fly by quickly; there never seems to be enough time in the school day to get done all that we want. But the week seems to take forever to get through. The students are beginning to get comfortable in their new surroundings - their behavior shows it. They are testing thier limits and not afraid to speak out or get into something. So I think that next week I am going to have to be a little harder with my discipline and not let them get away with as much as last week. My biggest problem is during read alouds - I have a few students who always seem to talk or make noises. I have not found any consistantly successful way of queiting them down. I am open to suggestions... I feel like I finally have calendar time down and am comfortable with it. Last week I felt like I was going through it too quickly and forgeting some parts of it. I have learned to slow everything down. I have also learned some new things to do with the students from my mentor teacher. The only thing that worries me is singing the songs with the students. I know that they don't care what I sound like...but I'll just have to get over my stage fright. Thursday I started gathering data for my AR project. That was interesting. I feel that gathering my data will become more difficult once I take over more of the teaching. But, my mentor teacher managed to give reading tests to all the students while also managing all her teaching responsiblities - so I should be able to figure it out. Next week at my reading center, I am doing activities that are more 'reading' based - rather than coloring/cutting/pasting. I will be doing some of the whole group activities from the teacher's manual that involve drama, writing, grammar, and speaking. I think this will help me transition into teaching the whole group reading lessons and leading the teacher-lead groups.
Week 3 was a short week because of Labor Day, but it still felt just as long as a regular week. The days fly by quickly; there never seems to be enough time in the school day to get done all that we want. But the week seems to take forever to get through. The students are beginning to get comfortable in their new surroundings - their behavior shows it. They are testing thier limits and not afraid to speak out or get into something. So I think that next week I am going to have to be a little harder with my discipline and not let them get away with as much as last week. My biggest problem is during read alouds - I have a few students who always seem to talk or make noises. I have not found any consistantly successful way of queiting them down. I am open to suggestions...
ReplyDeleteI feel like I finally have calendar time down and am comfortable with it. Last week I felt like I was going through it too quickly and forgeting some parts of it. I have learned to slow everything down. I have also learned some new things to do with the students from my mentor teacher. The only thing that worries me is singing the songs with the students. I know that they don't care what I sound like...but I'll just have to get over my stage fright.
Thursday I started gathering data for my AR project. That was interesting. I feel that gathering my data will become more difficult once I take over more of the teaching. But, my mentor teacher managed to give reading tests to all the students while also managing all her teaching responsiblities - so I should be able to figure it out.
Next week at my reading center, I am doing activities that are more 'reading' based - rather than coloring/cutting/pasting. I will be doing some of the whole group activities from the teacher's manual that involve drama, writing, grammar, and speaking. I think this will help me transition into teaching the whole group reading lessons and leading the teacher-lead groups.